Update... Oct 31, 2005

Well, I hope my loving friends haven’t forgotten about me. I have been completely buried at work, underneath mountains and mountains of code you will find me there just trying to catch my breath… I work for a software company. We sell software. Low and behold someone on our illustrious sales team decided to sell a product that we didn’t have. Software that doesn’t exist, and has scheduled a demo of this software for November 7th! Hello… you scheduled a demo of something that doesn’t exist. I have never heard of such a thing, I never tell my OB/GYN…”hey let’s schedule a c-section, I know I am not pregnant but this could be fun!” It just doesn’t happen. So we have all been shoved into high gear trying to create a product with very few requirements, and in only two weeks time. How do you like them apples? Personally, it isn’t the time pressure or the amount of work that gets to me, it is the sheer fact that someone promised the world, and just dumped it my lap to deliver. So, we have spent tons of times up here, rushing the coding process… and it is a process. Coding is an art, and it is a process. I need time to go through this process to feel the creative juices flow, to utilize the correct amount of time for procrastination alone (this is an important step), and ultimately to deliver a product… neigh baby that I can be proud of!!! Did this happen, no. It is “wham, bam, thank you Martha!” The process has been usurped, and therefore the baby is ugly. And I seriously doubt this sales guy is either sweating it, or has been working any overtime in the last two weeks. He is just waiting for his demo. Well, it will be there… good luck!

That is work… here is the update!!!

So, about two weeks ago there was an open audition at the Frisco Community Theater for the Christmas play. I have NEVER acted, but have always wanted to give it a try. So I figure there is no time like the present, and head up there. It is a Monday evening, and everyone there IS an actor. It was bizarre. These people had resumes and they had “head shots” and they were talking of commercials they were just in, and what did I bring with me? A purse… but a nice purse, its Coach and only a year out of date, but still nice. I had no resume, no head shot, nor experience, but I did have a light heart and a smile and figured the worst that could happen is they so “No thanks”. Well, everyone read for the roles, and it was so much fun seeing that. It was really neat to see how one person interpreted a scene from another. I leave after three hours of being there, and it was great. I was happy, I had done something I always wanted to do and truly didn’t care that there was a slim chance that I would get a part, I had at least tried out. Well, Friday comes along and that is when they were going to be calling everyone. At noon my little cell phone rings… ring…ring “Hello, this is Martha”… “Uh, yeah Martha, this is John the director at FCT, I wanted to see if you would be interested in the part of Evie in the Christmas play?” I was stunned!!!! Is he serious? They actually have a part for me? I didn’t know what to say, and finally I said “Uh, yeah, sure, uh, thanks.” “Great we will see you at rehearsal on Monday” Holy crap! I never thought I would get a part, but I did! Now my nerves are going, what the heck was I thinking?!?!? Me in a play? I don’t want to look like a schmuck in front of people, really don’t want to stink at this, but not only did I audition, but now I have accepted a role. Finally after a couple of days, and some much needed alcohol, I calm down and start thinking how much fun it could be. I have been to a few rehearsals since this has happened and it has been a ton of fun, hopefully I will be pretty good, and I hope I don’t pass out on stage or something.

On to last weekend. Last weekend was a blur. Friday started like a firecracker, ka-boom! I get to work, and there are 8 million things to do, and no time to do any of them. I was being pulled in every direction. I got in at 7am and didn’t leave until 6:30pm, because I had to get to rehearsal. In this timeframe I didn’t not get to wish one of my old friend’s a Happy Birthday, Jenne I am SO SORRY!!! But I did call the next day, I know… I suck! I leave work and race up to the theater, I am less than five miles away and a police car pulls behind me… lights go on…damn, damn, damn… why god? Why? It could not have been worse timing. So I pull over and another car pulls in for back up. I guess I looked crazed or dangerous or both!!! Well, he comes up to the window and says, “Did you realize your registration was out?” Ok, this is a stupid question. My registration has been “out” since 2002. This is not a revelation or something new, but this is why this man has pulled me over!!!! I wasn’t speeding, wasn’t weaving, wasn’t drinking alcohol, or flipping him the bird… just the registration. Needless to say, I am upset. Upset b/c I really don’t want to deal with this right now, and upset that I am going to be late. So, this is not a good thing. I get out my license and start looking for my insurance. I just renewed it, where is it? Where is that damn little card? I look all over the place, and finally decide that it isn’t with me. I don’t have it. Great! So, I get two tickets, expired registration and no insurance. Another thing to deal with, damn! I am going on vacation on Friday, so this is something that I am going to have to deal with this week, I have NO choice. Double Damn!!!

Finally Saturday comes along and I go to enjoy some Indian food and even help make it at one of the guys house here at work. Then Saturday night is Adrienne’s Halloween Party. It was so much fun, everyone was decked out, and I wasn’t. I didn’t have a costume, but I really should have taken the time, because everyone looked so great. There was a psychic there as well, doing readings and that was the best part. She was pretty freaking creepy too. She told me some things that made me really wonder if she wasn’t for real. I am not going to repeat here what she told me, but needless to say… it was interesting. I totally think everyone should go have their tarot cards read, palms read, or something this Halloween… totally puts you in the spirit!!!

I worked all day Sunday (yet again, don’t sell things your company doesn’t make!!! If you work for John Deere, don’t tell a client that you are releasing a brand new sports car that is faster than a Ferrari, and then ask the engineers to whip up a demo car!!!!!) I got home really, really late and just fell into bed with my new book club book, that is so great!!! And was asleep by 10:30… or thereabouts.

Well, that is all the news that is fit to print. I will be on vacation next week, but will definitely have some stories when I get back ;)

Peace, love, and psychic ladies that scare me!!!!
Martha

No comments: