Update... Mar 9, 2006

Good morning one and all… it is nearly Friday, and I am so ready for the weekend!

So many of you have heard that song “I fought the law and the law won…”, I have no idea who actually recorded this song, nor do have the energy or inclination to google that fact, but recently this song was being piped out by yours truly. For those of you who don’t know, I have had a little run in with cops recently… or to be more precise 3 little run-ins with the cops!

So two weeks ago Monday I am driving into work… I am in a good mood and singing along with my little CD in the car (typical me) and I see the police office pulled over on the side of the road looking for his next victim. These guys are like hunters in a deer stand, they know eventually prey will come by and they just hope they don’t shoot their partner! (I cannot get away from the Cheney jokes, sorry.) So, I do what everyone does… I immediately check my speed, 41 mph and I am in a 40… turn up the music and keep singin’. But I pass by his car, and he pulls out, I am not worried, I have done nothing wrong. Then he starts following me… still not worried, he probably thinks I know where the closest donut store is. I keep driving and the lights come on. Damnit! What a way to start off your week. I pull into a children’s day car center parking lot, and this isn’t good, now all the 4 year olds get to see what life really has in store for them. There are kids going into the day care and they are pointing and talking to their guardian as they go in to get drop off. Most likely asking “Are they getting arrested?”

The cop comes up to the window and he asked for my license and insurance and says I have been pulled over for expired registration. Double damn. My registration has been expired since 2002. I realize 4 years is a presidential term, and that I really should have been able to find the time to rectify this at any point in those 4 years… but you know what, I have been busy! And going down to the registration office, standing in an extremely long line, just to have someone older than my grandmother, who moves extremely slowly, and is only working there because the social security system has failed them… is not my idea of time well spent. But I look in my glove compartment for my insurance… I swear I had ever copy of my insurance except for the current copy. I had insurance cards that expired in 2000… all the way through Oct 2005. The cop gives me a ticket for no insurance and a warning on the registration. And I am off to work!

A week goes by and it is Monday again, and I am driving to work again. This time I have Kelly Clarkson on the CD player and it is up loudly, I top a hill on Northwest Highway and there he is… another cop. This time in a Dallas Police Department issued Camaro… whoa, he’s cool, “Hey Poncherello can I drive?” He pulls me over… I am speeding… still don’t have that pesky insurance card on me, and sure enough that damn registration is still out. I really wish those elves that make the shoes would swing by my house and take care of a few things. I don’t need them to make shoes, but get my registration done, my taxes need some attention, clean my room, laundry would be a definite plus, and ironing… oh the ironing would be great!!! Maybe I should get a stay at home wife, or move back in with my Mom? Mom, you up for that? So, he pulls me over and we go through the same stuff, but he only gives me a ticket for speeding. So I am up to two tickets in the span of a week. Shoot me!

The week rolls on, and on Thursday my brother has to appear in court for a custody hearing for his sons. Being the loving and supportive sister I am, I go ahead and attend to make sure he has support with him. This is all the way up in McKinney. If you haven’t been to McKinney it is just south of Oklahoma, but doesn’t smell nearly as bad. Anyway I am driving over to my brother’s home after leaving the courthouse, and a motorcycle cop passes me by. These are the worst kind of cops. They are on a motorcycle, which means that they are just itching to get off the motorcycle… why? because motorcycles aren’t that comfortable. A cop in a car sees you break the law and can make the judgment call… “do I really want to stop listening to this song, get up off this nice comfy seat, stop reading my paper, and not finish my slurpee just to pull that person over? By the time I write them a ticket my slurpee will be melted. Ok, we’ll let that one go.” Not the motorcycle cops… there is no radio, no comfy seat, no slurpee. They are in solitary confinement and ready for action. They want to pull you over just to talk to somebody. So he pulls me over… and why did he pull me over? Why? Why would he pull me over? My registration! Many of you are probably thinking… you deserve it. But I swear to you, I almost lose it. I just want to park the car and walk to my brother’s house. I want to cry, I want to pull my hair out, I want to go to the mall and buy myself a new outfit… I am on the edge! I get the ticket for NO REGISTRATION. I have now been pulled over 3 times in a week and a half. I have 3 tickets… all for different reason. I am broken. They have pushed me to my limits and I now find myself wanting, no needing to get this done for my own sanity.

I went and got my registration done. That day. I stopped my entire world and went to get this done. I then became even more industrious and thought I would go show my registration and get that ticket taken care of the very same day! I go back to the courthouse where I had attended my brother’s hearing and walk up to the counter excited to be able to get this all taken care of… all in one day! What a good student I turned out to be. I wait my turn… waiting… waiting… read “War and Peace”… still waiting… start working on the “world hunger” problem… waiting… oops my turn! I walk up to the counter, and had the lady my ticket and my newly acquired registration, with a smile on my face I say, “I am here to take care of my ticket”. She looks at me and says, “This wont be in our computers for another 24 hours”. What? Are you kidding? I have the documentation with me, I cant be making this up, so why not just let me take care of this now… I have gotten my registration, waited in your long line, and for what? Ugh! Now I have come back…

Wish me luck, I will be headed back to McKinney today to see if I can get this ticket dismissed without actually paying for it.

Peace, love, and anarchy!
Martha

No comments: